Monday, September 8, 2008

What a weekend

Saturday went well, I guess. Had the family come over to look at the house and all. Had pizza and then they left after a couple of hours. I understand, as they said, I do live far away. We are about an hour and a half drive from where they live as well. As my mom had put it, they were wondering if they were still in AZ as they were driving over.

Sunday....ugh...Sunday. Everything was fine until I took my son to the hospital to have his stitches removed. On the way back, it happened. I was traveling eastbound heading back home. The speed limit was 40 and I was honestly doing at the most 45. I saw a black SUV coming towards me, figured it was a Sheriff vehicle. He pulled to the side of the road and I looked at my speed, I was at 45. I continued going without slowing down. Before the cop came to a complete stop he flips on his lights and points for me to pull over. He then does a u-turn to get behind me on the side of the road.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Uh, actually, no"

" The speed limit through here is 40. I clocked you at 56"

"When I looked down I was at 45"

"Just sit tight. License and Registration"

I get him what he requested and he went back to his vehicle. About 10 minutes passed before he came back. Upon his return he tells me he is not going to give me a ticket for expired registration. I was like what? He said since I had the current stickers, he assumes I am good so he won't write a ticket for that. However, he did give me a ticket for 56 in a 40. I asked him how much, how many points, how long do points stay on a license and for some reason for someone who supposedly knows his job, doesn't have an answer for any of it.

So, I have one of three options. Pay the $175 ticket and get points on the license, of course insurance would go up. Or I can go to Defensive Driving school for $120 and have no points on my license. Or I can go to court and try to fight it. After all, he clocked me while he was still moving and going in the opposite direction. The only problem is, going to court will waive me the ability to go to the school if I lose and the court will probably believe the officer over me.

So, there you have it. I will probably go the Defensive Driving School and be done with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no! You got a ticket! Bummer! You are somewhat right - you can go to court - and perhaps the cop won't show - and then it gets thrown out. BUT - it is just as easy to go to driving school - I've gone and Tom had to go last year - or was it earlier this year - don't remember. Sorry you had this added expense.

Ralphd00d said...

lol!!! And I drove 70+ all the way home that day! Insurance increase shouldn't be too much, as the points are onthere for only 3 years (minimum - sometimes 5).