Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Big Decision

Well, I think I made a pretty big decision this past weekend. It seems last week I found out that I am now non-deployable, which means I can not go overseas for deployment with the military. Well, that is not entirely true. I am not allowed to volunteer for deployments, I should say. See, because I am a MilTech, a civilian working for the government, and I am in the Army Reserves, I was told if my platoon gets pulled for mobilization, I will not go. If I do volunteer for a deployment, I am not gauranteed my job when I return. It appears too many MilTechs have been volunteering for deployments (we make more money on the military side) and the government struggles to hire replacements. Once the MilTech returns, they want their job back and they have to find somewhere for the person they replaced to go. Just too much of a hassle I guess.

I did have a plan for what I wanted to do before finding out this information. I had decided I wanted to wait until I get my BA, which is in two years, before I decided to do this. I was planning on going for my E-8 later this year until I found out last week i would be transferred to another unit if I did. If I were to get transferred, I would have to find another job. I have decided to put in my packet for Direct Commission and become an officer. Before last week, I didn't want to as new officers get pulled for deployments and I wanted to complete my degree instead of putting it on hold until I returned. With the new information I have, I can still become an officer now, not worry about being deployed, and still finish my degree on time. Plus, I can still keep my job because I would become an officer in this unit.

So, I have started the process of direct commissioning, but probably will not receive it until sometime next year. I am in no hurry and I have a lot to do to get to that point. I just discovered I will also have to take an SAT or ACT since I do not have my degree yet. The pay is not an issue as it is only about $50 more a month than my current rank. The big picture I am looking at is what I will receive at retirement age. That is the big difference.

So, since I am deciding to become an officer, I have had to eliminate one thing that I do in my life that I foresee could cause problems. I have decided to no longer consume alcoholic beverages. I am not the type to just have one and I could see it as ruining my career in the future if I continue. So this past weekend was the last time I have consumed alcohol. I quit on March 7, 2010 to make March 8, 2010 my first day of no longer drinking. March 8 would have been my father's 62nd Birthday and he had passed away 25 years ago. I feel this is a good way to honor him and to help me stick to my plan.

I finally was able to get WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE from Blockbuster yesterday, but probably will not watch it until Wed or Thursday. I did watch TAKING WOODSTOCK and TENURE this past weekend. Not really any good, either one of them. I am still trying to get EVERYBODY'S FINE, but it has been out of stock since last Tuesday. Which reminds me, Blockbuster is starting to tick me off. A little over a year ago, they no longer did the "extended viewing" fees if you were late. Instead they said if you didn't return it after ten days, you would be charged for the movie (a set sale price). Now they have brought the fees back, but they no longer honor the "Gauranteed in stock or it's free". It seems every business is trying to find a way to get a bailout either from the government or from the taxpayers. Anyways, that's all I got today.

1 comment:

Ralphd00d said...

No more beer. Too bad! More for me!!

I got in "Planet 51", "The Time Travelers Wife", "Post Grad" and a couple others you ain't heard of I am sure.