Tuesday, August 5, 2008

As if things couldn't get worse

Just when you think you are finally making progress, things go down hill. So, I just finished getting a house and moving closer to my job to save on gas and everything else. Around 1PM yesterday, I get a call that I need to start looking for somewhere else to work by October 1st. Basically everything I have been doing up to now was good enough, but because my Battalion lied to me, I have to find somewhere else to go. It has come to my attention that my unit is being disbanded all together and there will not be a position for me as a Unit Administrator. I would have to find another unit that would have that position open. Well, needless to say, I am tired of all the BS and I do not want to start all over with a new occupational skill or with a new unit. I decided to become a UA for this unit because I had been with these soldiers for a while and deployed with most of them. I wanted to make sure they wouldn't get screwed over. Now that they are getting disbanded, there is nothing I can do.

So, it is time for me to take care of myself. Yesterday I went down to Retention and had a talk with them. I have made a decision to become a Recruiter. I will just finish out my last ten years as a Recruiter and be done with it. At least as a Recruiter I know I won't be deployed again. I have already been twice. I wouldn't mind going again, but my kids are getting older and they need me. So, I will be finding out over the next two months if I can do it. If so, I will leave to go to South Carolina to learn how to be a Recruiter.

In the long run, it seems things get worse, but this may actually be a better move for me. As a Recruiter, I am Active Guard Reserve, which means I am Active Duty and get all the benefits. Full Medical and Dental for the family, Basic Allowance for Housing (pays my Rent), and additional perks. So we will see how this little journey will go.

No comments: