Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dec 21 2012

What does that mean to you? Have you been hearing this date a lot? I sure have. This date is becoming popular because it is the end of the Mayan Calendar. What does that mean? To me...nothing, to others, the end of the world or some catalystic event.

Let me explain the Mayan Calendar theory. The Mayans created a calendar that was set for 5012 years. It began in August of sometime in the BCs. This calendar is much like our yearly calendar with the exception of it covers a longer time period. So what happens on Dec 31 every year? The calendar starts over. This is the same with the Mayan Calendar. It will begin again and last another 5012 years.

As far as the end of the world thing...I am not a philosopher or religious expert, but many religions state that the end of the world is only known by God. Not by man and not even by his own son, Jesus Christ.

The reason this comes up is my FIL is a survivalist and watches the history channel a lot. So last night he calls me and tells me to check out this website: www.theihc.com which I did while I was at work today. As I looked over the website, there was this lottery thing to enter into to reserve your spot for a "safe house" when this event comes. It talked about how when Dec 21st nears in 2012, earthquakes will be abundant and swallowing cities, volcanoes will erupt worldwide, tsunamis will swallow lands. It also talks of how all the planets align on this day and Planet X smaks into Earth. As I looked more into this site, I looked at some summit they were going to have to discuss this. A picture popped up saying it was the Secretary of Defense or something like that, that would be there in place of the President. As I looked at the picture, I thought, that's not the Secretary of Defense, that's Oliver Platt. When I saw a pictur of the President, the name was President Wilson and a picture of Danny Glover. So, I checked www.imdb.com which is a site I check a lot for movies. 2012 is an independent film coming out in November 2009 starring John Cusack, Danny Glover, Oliver Platt, and Amanda Peet to name a few. It is about Dec 21 2012. The website my FIL gave me is obviously something that is part of the movie as the IHC is talked about in the movie.

So, my conclusion to this whole 2012 myth is this. It will happen when it happens, none of us will know when. Nothing happened in 1985. Nothing happened in 1999. Nothing happened with Y2K. Nostradamus may have been "right" on some things, but his predictions were vague and not exact. Just because a calendar ends, does not mean it is the end of the world. So, pull your heads out of your a$$ and quit worrying. You'll probably pass of old age before the end of the world comes.

That's all I have to say about that.

No comments: